It is possible for any plant to make a child sick, even if the plant is not poisonous. If your child eats a plant and you have any questions, call your regional poison control center.
Some household and many garden plants can poison your child if he or she eats them. Keep poisonous plants out of reach until your child is old enough to understand not to eat them.
It's a good idea to check with the nursery before buying plants to find out if they might be poisonous. Also keep an eye on children while hiking, camping, and other outdoor activities. Some plants are common in certain areas. Get to know the poisonous plants found in your area.
Potentially poisonous plants include:
angel's trumpet four o'clock philodendron
apple tree foxglove poinsettia
autumn crocus golden chain poison hemlock
baneberry horse chestnut poison ivy
belladonna lilly tree poison oak
black locust hyacinth pokeweed
bleeding heart hydrangea potato (eyes,
bloodroot inkberry stems, spoiled
buttercups iris parts)
caladium jack-in-the-pulpit privet
castor bean lady's slipper rhododendron
cherry tree lantana rhubarb
chinaberry tree larkspur rosary pea
Christmas rose lilly of the skunk cabbage
cowslip valley snake root
daffodil lupine sneezeweed
daphne mayapple snow-on-the-
deadly amanita milkweed mountain
death camas mistletoe snowdrop
dieffenbachia monkshood sourdock
elderberry moonseed sweetpea
elephant's ear morning glory sumac
English holly mountain laurel tobacco
English ivy narcissus tomato (leaves)
false hellebore nettle water hemlock
fig tree nightshade wisteria
fly agaric oleander yellow jasmine
mushroom peach tree yew
Written by Kate Capage.
Published by RelayHealth.
Last modified: 2006-09-25
Last reviewed: 2010-08-09
This content is reviewed periodically and is subject to change as new health information becomes
available. The information is intended to inform and educate and is not a replacement for medical
evaluation, advice, diagnosis or treatment by a health care professional.