Hearing Loss: Resource List
Books for Children
Ages 3 to 8
- A Button in Her Ear by Ada Bassett Litchfield, Caroline Rubin (editor), Eleanor Mill (illustrator) Albert Whitman & Co, 1987
- Chris Gets Ear Tubes by Betty Pace Gallaudet Univ. Press, 1987
- Enrique Speaks With His Hands by Benjamin Fudge Hilton Publishing Company, 2008
- Hooray for Harold: Dealing with Hearing Loss Tim Peters and Co., 1997
- Jordan has A Hearing Loss by Jillian Powell and Gareth Boden Chelsea House Publishing, 2004
- Max Learns Sign Language by Adria F. Klein illustrated by Mernie Gallagher-Cole Picture Window Books, 2007
- Shhhh... A Book About Hearing by Dana Meachen Rau illustrated by Rick Peterson Picture Window Books, 2005
- Simple Signs by Cindy Wheeler Puffin, 1997
- So What If Amy Can't Hear? by Frances Conley Vantage Press, 2004
- When I Grow Up Candri Hodges Jason & Nordic, 1995
- Where's Spot? by Eric Hill Putnam, 1987
Ages 9 to 14
- Being Deaf by Maggie Woolley Smart Apple Media, 1999
- Let's Talk About Deafness by Melanie A. Gordon Rosen Publ Group, 1999
- Nobody's Perfect by Marlee Matlin Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers, 2006
- Some Kids Are Deaf by Lola M. Schaefer Capstone Press, 2008
Books for Adults
- Children With Hearing Loss: A Family Guide by David Luterman Auricle Ink Publishing, 2006
- Choices in Deafness: A Parents' Guide to Communication Options by Sue Schwartz, 3 ed. Woodbine House, 2007
- The Consumer Handbook on Hearing Loss and Hearing Aids: A Bridge to Healing Auricle Ink Publishers, 1998
- Hearing Loss in Children: Delayed Speech and Language, Information Packet by National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, National Institutes of Health Bethesda, MD, 1998
- The Hearing Loss Sourcebook: A Complete Guide to Coping With Hearing Loss and Where to Get Help by Carol A. Turkington Plume, 1997
- Idea Advocacy for Children Who Are Deaf or Hard-of-Hearing: A Question and Answer Book for Parents and Professionals by Bonnie Poitras Tucker Singular Pub. Group, 1997
- Keys to Raising a Deaf Child by Virginia Frazier-Maiwald and Lenore M. Williams Barron's Educational Series, 1999
- Living with Deafness by Emma Haughton Raintree Steck-Vaughn Publishing, 1999
- Not Deaf Enough: Raising a Child Who Is Hard of Hearing With Hugs and Humor by P. A. M. Candlish Alex. Graham Bell Assn. for Deaf, 1996
- Raising and Educating a Deaf Child by Marc Marschark Oxford Univ. Press, 1998
- The Silent Garden: Raising Your Deaf Child by Paul W. Ogden Gallaudet Univ. Press, 1996
- When Your Child Is Deaf: A Guide For Parents by David Luterman Pro-Ed, 2006
- You and Your Deaf Child: A Self-Help Guide for Parents of Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children (3rd ed.) by John W. Adams Clerc Books, 2003
- Your Child's Hearing Loss: What Parents Need to Know by Debby Waldman and Jackson Roush Plural Publishing, 2 ed, 2009
Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf, Inc.
347 Volta Place, NW
Washington, DC 20007
American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
10801 Rockville Pike
Rockville, MD 20852
Cochlear Implant Association, Inc.
5335 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20015
American Society for Deaf Children
P.O. Box 3355
Gettysburg, PA 17325
Boys Town National Research Hospital
555 North 30th St.
Omaha, NE 68131
National Association for the Deaf
Non-profit organization which focuses on advocacy and legal rights, deaf community and culture, interpreting, and technology.
Created by a parent of a child with severe hearing loss, this site aims to be a one-stop source of information with links to parent discussion list, online bookstore, and other resources.
6500 Old Main Hill Rd.
Logan, UT 84322
Compiled by Catherine Smith, MLS, medical librarian at the Family Health Library, The Children's Hospital, Denver, CO.
Published by RelayHealth.
Last modified: 2010-06-04
Last reviewed: 2010-06-04
This content is reviewed periodically and is subject to change as new health information becomes
available. The information is intended to inform and educate and is not a replacement for medical
evaluation, advice, diagnosis or treatment by a health care professional.