Diabetes: Resource List
Books for Children
Ages 4 to 8
- Even Little Kids Get Diabetes by Connie White Pirner, Nadine Bernard Westcott (illustrator) Albert Whitman & Co, 1994
- I Have Diabetes by Althea Dinosaur Pub., 1993
- Taking Diabetes to School by Kim K. Gosselin 2nd ed. JayJo Books, 1998
- Trick or Treat for Diabetes: a Halloween Story for Kids Living with Diabetes by Kim Gosselin, Jayjo Books, 1999
Ages 9 to 12
- Diabetes by Elaine Landau Twenty-First Century Books, 1994
- My Sister Rose Has Diabetes by Monica Driscoll Beatty Health Press, 1997
- Why Me? Why Did I Have to Get Diabetes? by Robert Messinger Little Mai Press, 2004
- Diabetes by Elizabeth Ferber Millbrook Press, 1996 (Focuses on the illness in adolescence)
- In Control: A Guide for Teens with Diabetes by Jean Betschart Wiley, 2001
- The Diabetic Athlete Sheri Colberg Human Kinetics, 2001
Books for Adults
- 101 tips for Raising Healthy Kids with Diabetes by Patti B. Geil and Laura Hieronymus American Diabetes Association, 2005
- Challenge of Childhood Diabetes: Family Strategies for Raising a Healthy Child by Laura Plunkett iUniverse, 2006
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Guide to Diabetes John Wiley & Sons, 2005
- Diabetes Care for Babies, Toddlers, and Preschoolers: A Reassuring Guide by Jean Betschart Chronimed Publishing, 1999
- Diabetes-Free Kids: A Take-Charge Plan for Preventing and Treating Type-2 Diabetes in Children by Sheri Colberg and Mary Friesz Avery, 2005
- If Your Child Has Diabetes: An Answer Book for Parents by Joanne Elliott Cleveland Clinic Press, 2005
- Living With Diabetes: A Guide for Patients and Parents by James Reed Hilton Publishing, 2005
- Living With Juvenile Diabetes: A Family Guide Victoria Peurring, Hatherleigh Press, 2001
- Type 2 Diabetes in Teens by Betschart-Roe Wiley, 2002
- When a Child Has Diabetes by Denis Daneman Key Porter Books, 2010
American Diabetes Association
1701 N. Beauregard Street
Alexandria, VA 22311
Web site: http://www.diabetes.org
Educational materials in English/Spanish, referrals to local chapters, information specialists.
Juvenile Diabetes Foundation International
120 Wall Street
New York, NY 10005
Information and support to affected individuals and their families.
National Diabetes Education Program National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Disorders
Bldg. 31, Room 9A04
31 Center Drive, MSC 2560
Bethesda, MD 20892
Web site: http://ndep.nih.gov
Educational materials in English, Spanish, and Asian languages.
National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse
1 Information Way
Bethesda, MD 20892-3560
Web site: http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/
Information about diabetes for patients, their families, healthcare professionals.
Compiled by Catherine Smith, MLS, medical librarian at the Family Health Library, The Children's Hospital, Denver, CO.
Published by RelayHealth.
Last modified: 2010-06-04
Last reviewed: 2010-06-04
This content is reviewed periodically and is subject to change as new health information becomes
available. The information is intended to inform and educate and is not a replacement for medical
evaluation, advice, diagnosis or treatment by a health care professional.