Our fellows participate in a number of educational opportunities
within the Section of Nephrology, as well as within the Department
of Pediatrics at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics.
Common Curriculum Conference
- A monthly presentation for all fellows in the hospital
covering the ACGME-common required topics.
- Under the guidance of a faculty mentor, a second- or third-year
resident prepares and presents a case followed by a review of the
disease process and relevant literature
- The format is interactive with faculty, residents and medical
students participating in the development of the differential
diagnosis and the evaluation of the patient
Noon Academic Scholarship Conference
- A hospital-wide effort to showcase areas of research and
achievement within all departments of the hospital
- A weekly presentation by local and
national speakers on topics of interest to the entire faculty.
Morbidity and Mortality Conference
- A monthly conference that utilizes a structured format to focus
on ways to improve quality of patient care through the analysis of
a recent case.
Section of Nephrology
- Occurs monthly. It is an interactive discussion of interesting
surgical cases. This conference is attended by nephrology and
urology faculty, fellows, residents and medical students.
- Occurs monthly. A review of recent literature on a clinical or
research question is conducted. This conference is attended by
faculty, fellows and support staff.
- Occurs twice a month. The conference provides a review of
light, immunofluorescence and electron microscopic findings of
recently performed kidney biopsies with a staff pathologist. This
is attended by faculty, fellows and a pathologist.
Clinical Case Conference
- Occurs monthly. It is an interactive review of interesting
cases presented by nephrology aculty and fellows.
Nephrology Multi-disciplinary Rounds
- Occurs weekly. It consists of a multidisciplinary eview of
current inpatients and consults. It is attended by faculty,
fellows, residents, nurse practitioners and support staff.
- Occurs monthly. A case-based discussion and evaluation of
potential transplant recipients and updates on prior transplant
recipients. It is attended by nephrology and transplant surgery
faculty, fellows, representatives from the organ procurement
organization and support staff.
Nephrology Grand Rounds Series
- Occurs quarterly. It provides the faculty and fellows the
opportunity to present on a topic of interest to the entire
- A bi-monthly conference attended by the multidisciplinary
dialysis team members to review patient laboratory, medical and
- Occurs monthly. The conference is structured to enable the
fellows to interact with faculty and to discuss specific selected
nephrology topics. The conference is used for fellows to present
research ideas and accomplishments.